San Francisco, San Francisco County,
The Flood Building was originally completed in 1904 by a scion of Comstock Lode wealth and subsequently underwent severe damage in the Great Quake of 1906. After additional repairs, it was reopened and remained a local landmark on Market St., even as its fortunes faded in subsequent years. A complete facade renovation in 1996 involved sandstone restoration and patching. We removed over 90 tons of deteriorated sandstone veneer components, using diamond blades, prior to repair work. We then installed new repair mortar and applied a finish coat before treating the surface with special tooling. Great care was taken to reproduce and match the adjacent original profile and surface.
Click on images below to enlarge.