Los Angeles, Los Angeles County,
The Wilshire Temple, constructed in 1929, houses the oldest Jewish Congregation in Los Angeles. As part of a larger restoration of the structure, the Rose Window on the South elevation facing Wilshire Boulevard was deemed to be in need of seismic upgrade as part of the general restoration. Selective removal of the cast stone components of the window were achieved using specialty crane and removal techniques. Approximately 24 feet in diameter, it was carefully cut into its original component units after removal of the stained glass, lowered to the ground, and then stored while a temporary window was installed. After enginering and design were completed, the window was cleaned, reinstalled over new stainless steel structural framework, and the stained glass reinstalled to complete this challenging intervention.